Federal Programs

Jasper City School System Homeless/Migrant/Foster Care Students' Liaison -  Rita Pilling

Jasper City Schools' Central Office- (205)384-6990 - Rita Pilling EXT- 68013

110 17th Street West, Jasper, AL  35501

Homeless Information

Education for Homeless Children and Youth

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act

The Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program is funded under the McKinney –Vento Homeless Assistance Act to ensure that homeless children and youth have access to the same free, appropriate public education that is provided to all children.  It further requires that attendance laws not be used to keep homeless children and youth from attending school. All faculty and staff must complete a mandatory in-service regarding homeless education each year which is available to your school as a PowerPoint presentation on the JCS website or via In-Service Training.

Who is Homeless?

The McKinney-Vento Act (Section 725) defines “homeless children and youth” (school-age and younger) as:
A.  Children and youth who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, including children and youth who are:

  1. Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (i.e. “doubled-up”).
  2. Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations.
  3. Living in emergency or transitional shelters.
  4. Abandoned in hospitals.
  5. Awaiting foster care placement (i.e., DHR has removed the children from the home and placed them in a transitional/temporary setting such as a relative’s home or an assessment unit).

B.  Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.

C.  Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.

D.  Migrant/ESL/ELL children who qualify as homeless if they are living in circumstances described above.

E.  The term unaccompanied youth includes a young person not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian. This would include runaways living in runaway shelters, abandoned buildings, cars, on the streets, or in other inadequate housing; children and youth denied housing by their families (sometimes referred to as “throwaway children and youth”); and school-age unwed mothers living in homes for unwed mothers because they have no other housing available.

Determinations of homelessness will be made on a case-by-case basis by the homeless education staff (221-4275).

Enrollment Records

The enrollment of homeless children and youth shall NOT be denied or delayed due to any barriers including the lack of the following enrollment requirements:

  • Legal guardianship/custody requirements
  • Parent/Guardian’s photo ID
  • Birth certificate
  • School records and/or transcripts
  • Immunization or health records
  • Proofs of residence
  • Transportation
  • Second Party Residence Documentation Form.

The student MUST be enrolled immediately and attend classes while awaiting documentation/records.

Child Nutrition Program - Free Meal Eligibility for Homeless Children

Homeless children are entitled to free meals (breakfast and lunch).  To expedite the delivery of these services, school officials may accept documentation that children are homeless from the Homeless Education Program’s staff.  Documentation to substantiate free meal eligibility must consist of the child’s name or a list of names, effective date(s) and the signature of the Homeless Education Program’s staff.  This documentation is acceptable in lieu of a free/reduced price meal application.   If the household does not complete an application for the child, school officials are authorized to complete an application on behalf of the homeless student.

Parents/Guardians/Students Rights

Homeless children have the right to:

A.    Enroll immediately without providing transcripts/school records, immunization/health records, proofs of residence, guardianship/custody requirements, birth certificates, and/or social security cards/numbers.

B.    Attend school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there. The student must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education and special education services provided to other children.

C.    Remain in the school in which they were enrolled prior to becoming temporarily housed OR enroll in the school that serves the address of the temporary housing.  The school choice decision is based upon parental choice and/or feasibility as determined by the district.

D.   Request a written explanation of school placement and the right to appeal an enrollment decision if system personnel attempt to send the student to a school other than the one the parent requests.

E.    Request a written dispute resolution process.  During this process, the student has the right to remain in his/her current school.

F.    Receive transportation to school and to school-related programs.

G.   Attend school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.

H.   Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residence that might prevent or delay school enrollment.

I.    Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.

J.    Receive free meal eligibility through the Child Nutrition Program (CNP).

K.   Obtain a student identification number by calling 221-4277 if the student’s social security card/number is unavailable.

Posting of Homeless Information

Homeless Education posters must be visibly posted in the vicinity of the main office.  The two posters contain the Rights of Parents and Rights of Students who are homeless as well as information on how to access services provided to homeless children and youth.  The posters may be ordered using

McKinney-Vento (Homeless Education) Dispute Resolution Procedure

The dispute resolution process begins at the time a school/district challenges the right of either a parent/guardian to enroll a child or to continue a child’s enrollment in school. This also applies to an unaccompanied youth and his/her right to enroll or continue enrollment. If there is a dispute regarding a student’s homeless status, school selection/enrollment and/or request for transportation, the student must be immediately enrolled in the school where enrollment is sought and provided with transportation services (if requested).

The district then must follow the procedures it has established to resolve disputes. However, the district’s procedures must provide the parent/guardian/ unaccompanied youth with an opportunity to submit information before it makes a final determination regarding the student’s homeless status. If the district makes a final determination that a student is not homeless, it must provide the parent/guardian/unaccompanied youth with written notice that the student is not entitled to attend the requested school.  This written notice must also:

1)    state the rationale/basis for the district’s determination;

2)    state the date as of which the student will be withdrawn from the requested school;

3)    advise that the district’s final determination may be appealed to the Alabama State Department of Education;

4)    provide the name and contact information for the district’s homeless liaison;

5)    inform the parent/guardian/unaccompanied youth that the district’s homeless liaison is required to assist him/her in filing such an appeal; and

6)    include the appropriate form needed to file an appeal to the Alabama State Department of Education.

The student must remain enrolled and provided with transportation (if requested) until the district makes a final determination and for a maximum of 30 days after the determination to give the parent/guardian/unaccompanied youth the opportunity to appeal to the Alabama State Department of Education. The Homeless Liaison is available to assist the parent/guardian/unaccompanied youth with the appeal’s process and may be contacted - Rita Pilling @ (205)384-6880.


Parent Involvement Policy 2019-2020

Parent Involvement Policy 2018-2019

Parent's Right to Know -  Title I   Section 1111 (h)(6)- Click here for Letter Template

PARENTS RIGHT-TO-KNOW- Teacher Qualifications

(A)    QUALIFICATIONS- At the beginning of each school year, a local educational agency that receives funds under this part shall notify the parents of each student attending any school receiving funds under this part that the parents may request, and the agency will provide the parents on request (and in a timely manner), information regarding the professional qualifications of the student's classroom teachers, including, at a minimum, the following:

(i) Whether the teacher has met State qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.

(ii) Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which State qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.

(iii) The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate certification or degree held by the teacher, and the field of discipline of the certification or degree.

(iv) Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.

(B)    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION- In addition to the information that parents may request under subparagraph (A), a school that receives funds under this part shall provide to each individual parent—

(i)  information on the level of achievement of the parent's child in each of the State academic assessments as required under this part; and

(ii) timely notice that the parent's child has been assigned, or has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by, a teacher who is not highly qualified.

(C)       FORMAT- The notice and information provided to parents under this paragraph shall be in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, provided in a language that the parents can understand.

Chalkable Home Connect-Grade Portal for Parents and Students


JCS Foster Care Plan (click here)

Information for Parents


Ensuring Educational Stability for Children in Foster Care

This plan is to address the requirement for foster care provisions under Title I of ESSA which require State Educational Agencies (SDE) and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) to collaborate with Child Welfare Agencies (CWAs) to ensure educational stability and minimize educational disruptions for children in foster care.

Jasper City Schools are committed to provide all students with sound educational experiences.  We recognize that foster children are at an increased risk of grade retention, gaps in academic achievement, low high school graduation rates, and postsecondary enrollment.  These provisions promote greater stability for children in foster care so that they can continue their education without disruption, maintain important relationships with peers and adults, and have the opportunity to achieve college and career readiness.

The educational stability includes that (1) a child in foster care will remain in the child’s school of origin, unless a determination is made that it is not in the child’s best interest to remain in the school and (2) if a determination is made that it is not in the child’s best interest to remain in the school of origin, the child will be immediately enrolled in the school of residence, even if the child is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment.

Transportation Plan fy20

Dispute Resolution Plan fy20